Monday, March 19, 2007

Physics, Sex, and Comics

I wasn't surprised to learn that other people have already noticed the intimate connection between sex and physics, but I was amazed to see how well Randall Munroe portrays the connection in comic strip form.

If you click the image here, you can see one of Munroe's takes on the intersection of passion, sex and physics.

Some of my other favorites include

Angular Momentum
and
The Romatic Drama Equation


In truth, only some of Munroe's comics are about physics and sex. Many of them touch on computer programming, math, or random topics that interest him, like this interesting supermarket prank.

It's funny stuff. Check out the rest of the 'toons to see what I mean.

Thanks to my good friend Davide the science writer for letting me know about xkcd.com.

5 comments:

bjswift said...

The angular momentum one is cute and I like it too, but, unfortunately, doesn't even work in theory. :(

Buzz Skyline said...

I have to disagree, at least in principle. Although you are right that it doesn't make a *measurable* difference.

The angular momentum of the earth is enormous, and the angular momentum of the spinning girl is small, but the total angular momentum of the earth plus the girl is constant. If she increases her angular momentum even slightly, it decreases the earth's angular momentum by the same amount.

However, hurricanes have much more angular mometum that a girl spinning at a reasonable rate would, but they don't affect the length of the day to a significant degree (as far as I know, anyway).

It's the thought that counts, of course, and if a girl made that sort of gesture for me, I would be terribly flattered.

All the best,

Buzz

Gary LaPointe said...

Did you notice the title text you get if you hover over the image?

"With reasonable assumptions about latitude and body shape, how much time might she gain them? Note: whatever the answer, sunrise always comes too soon. (Also, is it worth it if she throws up?)"

Gary
http://GarySaid.com

Buzz Skyline said...

Hi Gary,

No, I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Munroe is a clever dude.

-Buzz

Benjamin said...

my girlfriend loved the angular momentum joke when I recreated the comic in real life for her